Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sunny California!?

I knew California is known for sun and fun but I did not know that sun=113 degree tempratures for multiple days in a row. "I'm melting" says the wicked witch has new meaning for me. When you step outside and are suffocated with heat-yeah there is something wrong with that. When your sister calls from the coast and says it is 95 here today you are going to be hot today knowing that it is 20 degrees hotter here than on the coast at any given time. When your mom calls in the late afternoon and asks is it hot there today and you reply I don't know I haven't been outside yet today. When your electric bill is $118 for 17 days of service. These are all things I didn't know about California before I moved here. There has not been one single cloud in the sky, no rain at all. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and look outside and get excited that it is overcast and than an hour later I look again and say oh never mind it is just smog. That's right, smog, apparently all the smog from the coastal cities ie: LA, San Diego, etc. settle here in the San Bernardino valley because we have tall mountains to stop it from floating any further east. But the people here are OK with it because the crappy air is commonly referred to as 'marine layer'. Sounds much nicer, huh? Oh California! I wouldn't trade it though (unless it was for Rochester) I do like it here. I have met some great people, I have found a part-time job at a florist shop, and I can get avacados for $.50 a piece. Pretty great! I will get pictures up soon-my camera has been found and charged.

5 comments:

raina said...

oh poor you. you get to live in california. stop bitching. jk if i lived there, i'd be complaining too. i hate the heat and the cold so by living in minneapolis, i guess i'm screwed. but i prefer hot/sunshine-y days to dark, cold days...

how'd the move go??

Wilder's said...

WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA MY DEAR!

Camille said...

Julie--great blog, we love to check it out and see how you guys are doing. We also started a blog - I need to get your email to send you an invite to view it.Hope everything is going great in sunny and HOT CA!! Camille

Marci said...

Rochester has been muggy for a couple days, but today it's rainy and so it's cooled down some. We're missing you here.

Jen said...

That's great that you guys are there. I wish we could be somewhere in Cali. We will be coming down to visit my family in 3
weeks.
I did hear that cali is having crazy heat but it won't last forever.